DMX Control Stations Knowledge Base
What I Do If My Computer Sends Out a DMX Signal?
Wall Stations become inoperable whenever they sense DMX coming from the console. So when you need to use your console for a service/event, your light show won’t be ruined by someone clicking a Wall Station button.
Many computers running lighting software will continuously send out a DMX signal, making your Wall Station inoperable. Shutting down and closing out of your lighting software should solve this problem. If you are wanting to keep your computer up and running while using Wall Stations, we offer a Console Toggle Switch for $39.95. Console Switches are just an easy to use switch that allows your manually switch control back-and-forth between your computer and Wall Station.
How Many Wall Stations Can I Use?
The SM-8 Wall Station and the SM-8 Switch can both support up to 5 Satellite Stations via Cat5.
Why Is My Wall Station Not Recording?
The most likely reason is that your Wall Station is not receiving DMX. If you are in program mode, and the light is GREEN, your Wall Station is not receiving DMX. There are two things to consider;
- Is your wall station the first thing in your DMX chain out of your console?
- Make sure your connections are good going in to the phoenix connector, double check that pins 2 and 3 are not backwards. A RED light will illuminate when the unit is receiving DMX.
Do I Need A Lighting Console?
Wall Stations require the use of a console to be programmed but can work independently once programmed.
Wall Stations work great with consoles. You can use your Wall Station for everyday use and your console for events. When your console is on and sending out DMX data, your Wall Station automatically becomes inoperable.
What’s the Difference Between Model Numbers?
The classic Wall Station is the SM-8 Wall Station.
Satellite Stations are SS-0s, and are the same product as the SS-8 Slave Stations. They were formerly known as SS-8s, but have been renamed to avoid confusion with the Master Wall Stations, which are SM-8s.
SM-16s are the 16 preset version of the SM-8.
Desk Stations are the SM-8 Switch.
What are desk stations?
The SM-8 Switch is a Desk Station.
Desk Stations are self-contained DMX Control Stations that can sit flat on a tech table. They don’t require any installation while also being expandable to up to 5 Satellite Stations via Cat5.
The SM-8 Switch features a built-in switch for changing DMX control from itself and connected Satellite Stations back to a console/computer, and back again.
How to Program
- Hold down buttons 1 and 8 to enter programming mode (light will turn red).
- Set desired look on lighting console.
- Press desired preset button 1-8. Light will flash. Scene is stored.
- Set new look on lighting console.
- Press another unused button or record over existing scene by selecting button. Up to 8 scenes can be recorded.
- Hold down buttons 1 and 8 to exit programming mode.